International Alliance of Academies of Childhood Disability (IAACD)
Along with the American Academy of Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine (AACPDM) and the European Academy of Childhood Disability (EACD), the AusACPDM is a founding member of the IAACD. The purpose and mission of IAACD are to improve the health and well-being of children, youth and adults with childhood-onset disabilities around the globe by enhancing local multidisciplinary professional capacity and expertise through an international collaboration between academies. In this regard, IAACD’s purpose and mission includes:
- Promoting evidence based teaching and training of multidisciplinary professionals in all aspects of childhood-onset disability with a lifespan perspective across different regions and cultures;
- Fostering collaboration to support all involved in the care of children and youth with disabilities including parents, caretakers, communities and professionals;
- Promoting scientific and needs-driven research in childhood disability that is applicable across diverse needs and conditions;
- Promoting the implementation of childhood-onset disability practice which is informed by regional and cultural variation; and
- Partnering with key stakeholders and organizations in support of the rights of individuals with childhood-onset disabilities.
Initial work of IAACD has included:
- Creation of a governance framework including formal constitution, legal incorporation and Executive Committee structure;
- Regular videoconferencing between Founding Academy and Executive Committee members to establish governance, processes and strategic directions;
- Development of the Global Professional Education Committee (GPEC) membership and education program to coincide with the European Academy of Child Disability (EACD) meeting in Tbilisi, Georgia in May 2018;
- Development of initial strategic plan to guide activities over the next 12 months.
Involvement of AusACPDM members includes Christine Imms, Sarah Love, James Rice (Executive Committee); Kath Benfer, Kate Milner (Global Professional Education Committee);and Ros Boyd, Christine Imms, Elaine Meehan (Membership Committee).
Clinical Best Practice, Communication and Finance sub-committees are in the process of being established.